We are looking for a Business Controller!
byFounders is looking for a new operations team member to join us in supporting the globally ambitious founders and operators who are driving and building the most impactful companies of tomorrow.
- Start date: Anytime before August 2022
- Location: Primarily at our headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark, with the alternative of working remotely from time to time, tasks permitting.
- Hours: Full-time
- Application deadline: April 30, 2022
byFounders is a community-powered early-stage venture fund focused predominantly on the New Nordics, backed by some of the region’s most accomplished founders investing in and supporting the next generation of globally ambitious founders. We mainly invest at seed stage (investments ranging between €0,5m - €4m) and are currently investing from our second fund. We pride ourselves on three things:
- True founder compassion - We’re founders ourselves and our empathy for founders permeates our every interaction, where we strive for transparency and candor. We also have some of the most founder-friendly terms on the market ;)
- **Global tight-knit network **- We’ve built what we call the ‘byFounders Collective’ which consists of 70+ experienced founders and operators who are incentivized to help us with deal sourcing, evaluation, and most importantly: to help our portfolio companies succeed. These people are today - together with our 38 portfolio companies - spread across the US and Europe.
- We care about Tomorrow - We believe in the future and recognize the power we hold in shaping it. We, therefore, put a lot of effort into responsible investing and help startups to make a positive impact on the world.
About the role:
In this role, you will mainly be responsible for financial analysis, data management, and reporting for (1) the startups in our Fund I & Fund II portfolios and (2) our limited partners i.e. our fund investors.
- Leading the quarterly and annual fund reporting prepared for our limited partners.
- Input into additional reports created for our limited partners.
- Managing the bi-annual ESG & Impact reports.
- Assisting portfolio companies with tasks related to financial management.
- Close collaboration with the investment team on analytical tasks and administrating and updating cap tables and waterfall models.
- Input for startup valuations including analysis of peer groups.
- Analysis and reporting of financial and non-financial KPIs in portfolio companies.
- Continuous optimization of financial and reporting processes.
- Close collaboration with external partners within legal, administration, and audit.
- As well as ad-hoc tasks in the investment team.
You will report to the Partners but work with the entire team, external partners, and stakeholders.
What we offer:
A way for you to kick-start a career in Venture Capital and tech with an opportunity to work side-by-side with the full byFounders team, including our Collective members consisting of unicorn founders and operators. Since we’re a fund built by founders, we’ve let go of all the hierarchy that otherwise can be found in this industry.
We’re a flat organization where every individual on the team gets autonomy to work on individual tasks while being an integrated team member on joint projects.
And lastly, we will work hard to ensure that you learn, develop, and have tons of fun!
What we are looking for:
You most likely have:
- Educational background as a Cand. Merc. - or similar - with a focus on financing, accounting, or strategy.
- A couple of years of experience from a similar position.
- You are methodical, structured, and have a professional approach to your work tasks. It’s important that you thrive by multitasking and focusing on a number of different tasks.
- You take initiative and are motivated by learning new things while still liking routine tasks.
- You communicate professionally in both Danish and English.
It is also incredibly important to us that we align on our key values, including genuinely caring for founders and being unpretentious. Moreover, we would like to see that you are:
- Passionate about technology & startups - that goes without saying 😉
- Humble and helpful, since we want you to be personable and easy to work with, not only with the core team but also with founders, Collective members, and other investors.
- Analytical and curious, since the work requires you to dig deep into industries, build a quick understanding of markets, and easily grasp key metrics.
- Structured and methodical, since this job requires structured processing of your tasks with sometimes fast turnaround times.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills, mainly in English but in other Nordic or Baltic languages are a plus.
It’s also a plus if you have any of the below:
- Startup or entrepreneurial experience
- Specific knowledge in impact investing and ESG
- Experience from working in high-performance and analytical teams (i.e., investment banking or management consulting)
- Experience in venture capital or private equity industry
Lastly, it’s very important for us at byFounders that our roles are inclusive, accessible, and desirable to people regardless of background. We are always looking to hire and retain the best talent and recognize the strength we gain as a fund by building a team with diversity in experience and backgrounds. byFounders is also certified as Diversity VC Level Two Standard (highest level) and key contributor to several diversity initiatives including The Diversity Commitment.